Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dating tip #432: Effective email

If someone wants to go out with you, they'll say yes no matter what you propose for a first date as long as it's reasonable. If they don't want to go out with you, they'll say no no matter what you propose. Or at least they should. When I was 23, a 46 year old asked me to the ballet, and I was very tempted to go, but I didn't.

(Corollary: the same holds for initial emails on a dating website.)

I got a very sweet email from someone a couple years ago listing about eight possible first dates ranging from coffee and dinner to picnicking at a specific park with hot chocolate in a thermos (seriously).

And just now I got a similar one, not excessive in number, but just in TMI and nervous online laughter: coffee, dinner, drinks (but he doesn't drink, he'll explain it later lol), pool (location specified), bowling lol. Nervous laughter in person is embarrassing, but we all do it and usually can't help it. Nervous laughter in email is completely preventable.

I don't mean this to sound sarcastic. I've just been dating long enough that I've gotten over my natural tendency to write overly long and detailed emails because I'm nervous, so I've learned the value of simplicity for faking confidence.

- "Hi, I really liked X and Y about your profile because I do/am Z and W. Question related to X or Y? Follow-up question? Generic smalltalk question? Statement related to generic question. Have a good weekend/Wednesday/etc."

- "Coffee or dinner? What day/time works for you?"

That is everything I wish I knew 4 years ago about initiating correspondence and meetings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well long emails; i tend to avoid them too. So much can be said in much shorter time in person.

But sometimes I find that some girls would rather have a few email exchanges just to get comfortable before going on a date, so asking for a date in the first email w/o the general small talk greeting isn't the best idea.