Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Time-management II:

I've found a few time-management resources:

The iprocrastinate podcasts can help you procrastinate for a good several hours! Seriously, they summarize personality psychology and research on the area. I had not known of the different models for personality psychology, for instance. From what I have covered so far, task aversiveness is most associated with procrastination: basically, people who are less self-disciplined or ambitious and impulsive are more likely to procrastinate. Only a small subset of people seem to procrastinate from perfectionism. Somehow, listening to the podcast motivates me to do even the annoying tedious tasks that I have to do, such as the endless literature summaries I've been assigned (and my advisor isn't around for me to ask him for something more relevant.)

The book _How to Write a Lot_ written also by a psychologist. It's very short, and the basic point is that you should write every day and you will not be successful unless you do write every day. 2 hours a day, set a goal for each section, and keep track of whether you meet the goal. It was worth checking out of the public library.

No comments: