Thursday, April 24, 2008

Working late, unanticipatedly

When I end up working late without having anticipated that I was going to, I know that if I leave the building to look for food I will not come back and don't feel too safe walking around after 9 or 10 pm in a deserted neighborhood, so I end up climbing the walls and deciding that 3 packets of sugar-free Swiss Miss are a good dinner. (All that milk powder!) It never works.

Last night I made use of the only "food" available in my office: I had not eaten anything with flavor for awhile, so I poured some sugar into a cup, dissolved it in hot water and drank it, and the flavorless calories killed my appetite, as predicted. And the sugar rush didn't hurt either. I find it eerie not to have an appetite, but here I found it very helpful when I didn't have an alternative. Sugar is everywhere, and generally not a great force in diet, but it can sometimes be useful.

No comments: