Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Whoa, testy testy.

Someone's grouchy or I'm a bad emailer. You decide.

Today I sent an application for a tenure-track job that I just got the announcement for. The address to send them to was a faculty member whose last name was a common hardware store product. Not sure why so late, but perhaps it's not really an opening.

I got the standard, "We received your application." reply from the faculty member. I'm going there next week to give a talk, and thought I'd tell them about it, so I wrote:

Great. Just let me know when you'll need the letters and I'll have them sent.

By the way, I'll be speaking at [your university] next week. Would you like information about this talk when I've
received it?


I received the reply, again starting with a title --- always bad news when it starts with a title:

Dr. New Postdoc, we haven't begun a review of the responses that we've receive to date. Over the next year we expect to fill two positions. You can take a look at the [department] website, research tab, and look at the work currently going in the [acronym] program.


How unfriendly, and what a non-sequitur!

On the other hand, I'd be grouchy too if my last name were a construction supply.

No comments: