Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Job market statistics

Here are my final job market statistics:

  • 6 dozen applications

    • 44 faculty: mostly tenure-track, some research-track, a couple temporary teaching fellowships
    • 7 real jobs: 3 government, 4 research institutes
    • 18 postdocs: 5 prestigious and competitive, 13 regular.

  • 13 short interview offers.

    • 4 conference (2 different conferences)
    • 7 phone: 3 formal (with committee scheduled way in advance), 3 informal (impromptu with 1-2 people), 1 formal declined.
    • 1 informal visit.
    • 1 email interview (seriously!) (declined)

  • 8 visit offers

    • 5 paid visit offers: 4 completed, 1 cancelled.
    • 2 unpaid visits costing >$150
    • 1 unpaid visit costing <$10.

  • 2 offers: 1 postdoc, 1 research-track faculty. Waiting to hear from tenure-track job.


Sources of jobs by outcome:

  • Offers: both were from informal chance meetings, but neither through connections.

    • Postdoc offer: saw faculty posting outside my field, emailed to ask if should apply, guy said I should apply and mentioned an unadvertised 1 year postdoc, declined me for faculty and brought me for postdoc interview.
    • Research-track: walked up to all desirable schools at field's annual conference asking if they were hiring. The guy at this school's booth who I happened to approach turned out to be the chair, and he said to send my CV. I drove there for two short, informal visits. They gave me an offer after the postdoc's offer.

  • Paid interviews (where employer paid travel costs): 1 asked to apply, 1 at conference, 2 online.

    • 3 year postdoc: asked to apply for, also saw postings in 2 places. (When considering the VAP, called 5 people in the area. One of them kept in touch, invited me to visit his campus, and mentioned that the following year I should apply for the postdoc, and then mentioned again that I should apply for the postdoc.)
    • tenure-track faculty: saw posting at above conference. Search chair contacted me right after he got my application to say that he knew my advisor and that they were inviting me. 4 months passed before I actually got the invitation to visit.
    • 2 tenure-track faculty: saw postings online.

  • Unpaid interviews costing >$150: both postdocs, both online. One guy was friends with my advisor, and assured me that I would likely get an offer, but I didn't because the other postdocs didn't think I was interested in the area.
  • 13 short interviews

    • 4 conference interviews from registering for conferences' job services.
    • 4 formal interviews from internet postings
    • email interview from internet posting
    • 4 informal interviews all due to personal contacts: 2 from connections and 2 just because I reached out to them randomly.



Conclusion: networking works, even if it's just randomly walking up to someone and asking if they are hiring. Having a good pedigree and good publications certainly helps with the random approaches, I'm sure.

5 comments:

Janicke said...

This is a great blog!! I am applying for a post doc right now, working day and night on the research proposal. I never wrote an application like this in English before, and it is terrible. Sunshine outside, I should be out drinking whitewine, instead I am stuck here...
Please keep on blogging!!

Louise said...

This is a really interesting summary of your experiences - thanks for sharing!

I was very lucky for my first post doc - saw an ad for my perfect position, applied for it, was offered it. One application = one job offer, definitely not normal. However, I am looking for my second post doc now and I don't think it is going to be quite so easy!!

Maria said...

Congratulations on the job offers. I can't wait to hear how things are going with the new job.

Anonymous said...

Really liked your post and blog1 I'm also a post-doc, actually, twice, and currently following husband around in the Foreign Service, while raising 3 little kids...

Anonymous said...

Really liked your post and blog1 I'm also a post-doc, actually, twice, and currently following husband around in the Foreign Service, while raising 3 little kids...