While I was on one of my interviews, I stopped at a student organization's display of students' secrets. They put up a clothes line and students were supposed to write their secret on a 3x5 index card and attach it to the line. So many of them sounded familiar, painful, or funny.
- I'm worried [university name] has killed my self-esteem and motivation.
- I'm a CS major with a 4.0, but I've never been loved.
- I tell everyone I'm a diehard Democrat, but if it's Obama vs. McCain, I'm voting GOP.
- Sometimes I wish I went to another school.
- I never feel that I'm good enough, so I spent a lot of time being afraid.
- As much as I want to fall in love, part of me just wants to get laid. A LOT. [Female handwriting?]
- Although it disgusts me, I have a sexual relationship with my dog.
- When I was young, I burned down an unfinished house out of anger. No one knew.
- I'm terrified I will never really be happy.
- People tell me to be myself, but I don't know who I am.
- I masterbate. [and can't spell.]
There were stories about how a poster's father shot himself last year when they were sleeping down the hall, and another poster's best friend bled to death, but it wasn't a secret and everyone knew about it. A community college student came to visit the university for motivation. A guy slept with his best friend's sister, and then felt too weird to ever speak with his friend again.
Some secrets are scary. Others are surprisingly universal.