Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mysterious endings: ubiquitous!

I feel so much better about the out-of-nowhere ending to my fall relationship, where the guy broke up with me by being extremely busy at the end of his semester as if I might see that as avoiding me, after reading this book excerpt about boyfriends who just disappear.


"Lone Rangered: To have had a relationship end in a mysterious and annoying way --- with no goodbye, no answers, just the vague feeling that you have no idea who that man was....Every woman, with the possible exception of Cindy Crawford, has a story like this. She may have dated the man a few weeks or a few years. They may have shared a cab or an apartment. It doesn't matter. For some reason, the man thinks that the decision to break up is none of her business." (Cindy Chupack, the Between Boyfriends Book.)


Two months later, occasionally when reminded of him, I find myself thinking, "How could I have been so stupid?" before I stop myself and think about something else. Now that I've seen it written in a pink paperback written by a Sex in the City writer as a universal truth --- arguably, one that you need to have in order to be able to say that you've experienced the wealth of the single life --- maybe I won't think that so often.

No comments: