Sunday, January 13, 2008

Procrastination strategy

A commenter pointed me to an essay on structured procrastination, a method to trick oneself into doing work by prioritizing things which are not really priorities so you can do the really important things.

What I find really terrific is not just the technique, but also the implicit assumption that's there's nothing wrong with having procrastinatory tendencies. Like many women, I ruminate, and sometimes I will wonder if the fact that I procrastinate means that deep down I have some kind of innate fear of work or success or something else, and my head spins at the possibilities. (Procrastination could be internalized sexism, a reaction to being bullied for doing well in high school, an indication that I don't really like myself. But, really, it doesn't matter.)

It's incredibly gratifying to start from the supposition that the urge to procrastinate is not going to change, but to find a strategy which uses the procrastination constructively.

1 comment:

Procrastination Free Living said...

very good strategy,, that was simple but great idea,,, good luck!!!