Friday, January 25, 2008

Why travel is disruptive (boring)

I find travel to be incredibly disruptive to my schedule and productivity, and have been trying to figure out why. I've come up with a few ideas. I am guessing this will be a boring post, so feel free to skip it.

1. Travel disrupts habits, so that I start thinking about things that I do every day, and usually end up delaying things and sometimes not doing them at all. Delaying things makes me more reluctant to do them.

2. Travel is exhausting, both from emotional energy in interviewing, and physical exhaustion from lack of sleep, lack of exercise, or unfamiliar food. When I'm tired, I am more sluggish and again, delay things or don't do them at all.

3. Travel lets me build up a whole backlog of non-work, such as email and newspapers to read. I don't like backlogs of anything, and these backlogs are easier to clear up than my actual work. (An interesting assumption behind that: my actual work will never be done, but I can succeed in clearing my inbox.)

4. Travel often makes me more interested in my work, but also reminds me of how behind I am, and the backlog of work seems more daunting, so spurs more procrastination.

I'm pretty sure that's all. Somehow it feels better now that I have unpacked it: when I feel behind and overwhelmed because of travel, it's nice to know that it's probably for one of the above 4 reasons.

No comments: